County commits more funds to Purple Line

September 15, 2015

Rendering of the proposed Adelphi Road/West Campus station. Photo courtesy the Maryland Department of Transportation.

BY REBECCA BENNETT — Earlier this summer, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan announced the light rail project could move forward but that the state would be contributing only $168 million, a fraction of the original $700 million proposal.  He then announced $210 million in cuts to the project. The new plan also required increased contributions from the both Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties.

“Prince George’s County has agreed in concept with the State of Maryland to move the Purple Line forward,” County Executive Rushern Baker, III  said on Aug. 14. “We have agreed to increase our contribution by $20 million in exchange for construction of the Purple Line starting in Prince George’s County.  We also have agreed with the state that the primary command center will be located in the county.”

Baker said the county had already committed $100 million toward the project. The state accepted Montgomery County’s additional $40 million pledge in July, according to WTOP.