Student Writer Inquiries
Thank you for your interest in writing for the Hyattsville Life & Times.
The Hyattsville Life & Times consists of a monthly publication that is distributed to residents within the City of Hyattsville and our website, HyattsvilleLife.com. We are a staff of volunteers and there is never a shortage of stories to tell and photos to share, and that’s why we need your help.
In the past, we have mentored and coached student journalists on both the secondary and collegiate-level. We also work closely with the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland.
Here are some of the basic requirements for our student writers:
- Strong writing and grammatical skills
- Understanding of Associated Press style
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong commitment to quality work and accuracy
- Willingness to have work edited
- Understanding of journalistic integrity
To join our staff, we require students to contribute one article per month for possible inclusion in print or on the website. We need strong writers and reporters to cover news, general assignments, community and cultural events, education, art and theatre, lifestyle, business, and local travel and tourism.
We ask every student to become familiar with the city and our publication. Every article must be focused on a resident, an event happening in the city, or something of immediate concern to the residents of the City of Hyattsville. As a reporter for the City of Hyattsville it is important that you understand our community. Here is a link to a map of the City of Hyattsville for your reference: www.hyattsville.org/map.
Here are a few next steps to get started:
Want to join the team?
Email me at email@example.com to pitch a story idea or volunteer for an assignment. Include the following in your email:
- Availability: days of the week, time of day (morning, all day, after 5 p.m., etc.), and how often you would like to write (weekly, monthly, etc.).
- Topics, also called “beats,” you are interested in covering. Typical beats include: education, lifestyle, arts and entertainment, local politics, sports, health, crime, and business development.
- A resume and overview of your writing experience. Beginners are welcome!
Thanks again for your interest.